Σάββατο, Νοεμβρίου 18, 2006

Korinthia

I also spent about a week in the area in and around Corinth. Here are some photos from that area.


The temple of Apollo at Corinth when we were done for the day.



This is taken from Acrocorinth, the fortified heights above Ancient Corinth. You can see the archaeological site of Ancient Corinth in the center pretty clearly.


The ruined Fetiyeh mosque inside the walls of Acrocorinth.


Standing inside the mosque looking out over Acrocorinth and the surrounding hills.


The fortifications (mostly Medieval) of Acrocorinth.


More Acrocorinth fortifications.


If you can hold an enormous limestone block in one hand, while lecturing on the ancient theater of Corinth, then you can be a professor at the American School of Classical Studies too!


The fountain of Peirene at Corinth, which still runs.


The theater at Sikyon, before 80 3rd-graders ran into it screaming.


Another fountain house, this one at the gymnasium of Sikyon.


In the archaeological museum of Sikyon, which just opened a few weeks ago.The courtyard of the Sikyon museum.


The diolkos. Until the Corinthian Canal was cut, people dragged their stuff and boats along this road from the Saronic Gulf to the Corinthian Gulf.


The Corinthian Canal from above.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Ανώνυμος said...

I stumbled across this blog and all I have to say is ... SUPERB!

I visit Greece every summer to visit my relatives and going through this blog I felt a tremendous connectedness. I have so many of the exact pictures on my blog as well: Methoni, Pylos, Kalamata, Nestor's Palace, Ancient Messini, etc.

Please, keep up your blogging. I know it must be difficult for you but add some text w/ historical notes whenever you can.

Be well!

Paul

03:10  

Δημοσίευση σχολίου

<< Home